Simplify product design, increase product reliability, reduce production costs and rejection losses
The slotted tension pin is a multi-purpose, non-threaded, versatile and economic fastener. These hollow cylinders are slit longitudinally over their entire length to permit compression during insertion, which gives them a unique, self-locking quality. It is a fastener which not only simplifies design but reduces assembly and production costs, particularly since it can be installed in a single operation.
Chamfered edges facilitate insertion without disrupting the hole diameter or tolerance in any way. Vogelsang slotted tension pins are offered in several materials, the most common being high carbon spring steel thru-hardened for resilience and wear resistance.
The combination of material, hardness, and design provides a stronger joint than many of the solid steel pins, taper pins, or grooved pins of like diameter.
Tension pins can be manufactured with special slot designs per your specification, giving you full control over your product design.
Our engineers are available to help you create precisely the part you need. Perfect for unique applications or when you’re looking for a more reliable, cost-effective solution.
Features & Advantages
- High carbon spring steel is heat treated to achieve optimum shear strength in all standard parts.
- Standard finish is plain and oiled.
- Available in work hardened 18-8 nickel chromium steel.
- Can accept a wide variety of platings.
- Can be ground for tight diameter applications.
- Extremely cost effective to displace more expensive coil pin applications.
- Universal, self-locking, durable.
- Greater fastening security.
- Easily installed.
Vogelsang Slotted Tension Pins are used in an extensive array of applications. They regularly function as fasteners, hinge pins, stop pins, assembly pins and in a myriad of other roles.
These tried and true all-purpose non-threaded fasteners can be used in stampings, castings, forgings, sintered metals, hard rubber and plastics.
Unique features can be included in the design to fulfill the most demanding applications. Some on these special tension pins include:
- flared tension pins
- headed tension pins
- circumferential bevels with slot edges or wave tips below surrounding diameter
- specially closed gaps
- designs created specifically for use in automatic feeds